A brief description of the city:


Los Algodones is a quaint Mexican town located on the northeastern tip of Mexicali, a municipality in Baja California, 16 km west of Yuma, Arizona, USA.Most people call it as the Molar City or Algodones, but its official name is Vicente Guerrero.

In the recent years, Los Algodones emerged from a quaint town to become a popular tourist and medical destination. It’s situated near the borders of southwestern Arizona and southeastern California make it a prevalent attraction for older tourists from the US and Canada. A part from its affordable restaurants and shopping destinations, its inexpensive medical care and prescriptions made it as a medical tourist destination now catering visitors from all over the world.



Los Algodones has a warm, dry climate. Its warmest month is July with a temperature of 31.7°C (89.0°F). Moreover, the coolest month is January, with a temperature that average’s 11.7°C (53.0°F).


GPS Coordinates – Maps

Los Algodones geographical location is 32 degrees 42′ 55″ north 114 degrees 43′ 44″ west.


Dental Scene in Algodones


There is no doubt Los Algodones was nicknamed the Molar City – as it has the most number of dental clinics in all cities in Mexico. It has over 300 dental clinics and 900 dentists and growing. Moreover, dental care costs can save you up to 70-75%.

During peak season (December-March) in Los Algodones, medical tourists are virtually outnumbering Mexicans. Because of its booming medical/dental tourism, the US dollar is made the currency of choice and English is universally spoken. Within a five-minute stroll of Los Algodones, you can see a four-block array of pharmacies, and clinics of physicians, opticians and of course, dentists.

Dental tourists also visit Los Algodones because of convenience, as most dental clinics have their own dental laboratories. Crowns, bridges and dentures can now be acquired for less than three days. Aside from the savings you can get from availing dental care in Los Algodones, here are other reasons why you should get your dental care here.

10 Reasons to Visit Los Algodones for Dental Care:

[lists style=”style6″]

  • Up to 70% savings!
  • Prices are transparent, with no hidden charges!
  • Extensive dental specializations and years of experience
  • Most clinics haveon-site laboratories, so you can easily get your crowns, bridges and dentures!
  • Dental clinics use the latest technology – CAD CAM (Computer Aided Design and Computer Aided Manufacturing in Dental Laboratory)
  • Onsite dentaldiagnostics: Panoramic X-rays and Dental Laser Technology
  • Most clinics offer 2 YEARS FULL WARRANTY on dental work.
  • Most clinics have a clinic-hotel package and FREE shuttle service
  • Dental clinics offer FREE WiFi access and telephone calls to Canada and the US.


Travel from Yuma and San Diego


Medical tourists (from Canada and Europe) who travel to Los Algodones for dental care usually board on a plane and arrive to either of these two airports – Yuma International and the San Diego International Airports.

From the airport, your journey continues by land to Los Algodones through taxis or car rentals. It is recommended to book a rented car online or a local taxi company to avoid delays. However, cars are available for rental services at the airport. Further, taxis at the airport or booked online can also take you straight to the border crossing.

Yuma International Airport is located 6 km south of Yuma’s central business district. It is the closest airport to Los Algodones. On the other hand, the San Diego International is the second busiest single-use runway in the US and in the world. Besides Yuma International, it is the next closest airport.

From Yuma International Airport to Los Algodones

Traveling from Yuma International Airport to Los Algodones will take only 14 miles. From Yuma International Airport, you must take I-8 W from S Pacific Avenue heading to CA-186 S in Imperial County. From there, take the exit toward Algodones Road (Andrade) to Calle 2 in Baja California, México. It will take you just 18 minutes to get to Los Algodones.

From San Diego International Airport to Los Algodones

Starting from San Diego International Airport, you must head on I-5 S from Airport Terminal Road and N Harbor Drive. It’s easy: drive straight on I-8 E towards CA-186 S/Algodones Road in Imperial County. Then, take the Algodones Road/California 186 exit from I-8 E to Calle 2 in Baja California, Mexico. Also, if you take the San Diego route, you will travel 174 miles for 3 hours and 21 minutes to Los Algodones.


Most tourists enter Los Algodones through the US-Mexico border. Before crossing the border using your car, rented vehicle, or taxi,you need to secure aMexican Car Insurance.

  1. Why do you need a Mexican Car Insurance?
  • Since January 1, 2012, the state of Baja (Norte) made it a mandatory regulation that all vehicles entering Mexico need to carry a proof of Mexican liability insurance.
  • Only underwritten Mexican Car Insurances will be recognized by Mexican authorities.
  • Your Canadian or US Car Insurance will not be recognized by Mexican authorities. And, it will not cover physical damages or theft to your motor vehicle while you are in Mexico.
  • Not having Mexican liability insurance is a liability itself. There may be a possibility that you may be prevented from leaving Mexico even if you will require medical care that might save your life.
  1. When securing Mexican Car Insurance, avail of a Full Coverage that includes road side assistance, and a third party liability amounting up to USD $300,000 (minimum).
  1. Most Car Insurance Carriers will require you to submit the following:
  • Vehicle Registration Certificate (Proof of ownership)
  • Driving license number – an international driving permit is not required.
  • Vin Number
  1. You can access online insurance companies that can provide full coverage both for foreign and US-owned motor vehicles. Some companies include:
  • Adventure Mexican Insurance Coverages
  • Mex Insure
  • Baja Bound
  • Sanborns



Driving using a car:

The City of Los Algodones is easily accessible via Interstate 8 (West of Yuma) and a short distance south bound along Route 186 (Andrade Road) for about 7 miles to get to the border at Andrade, California.

The Andrade, California border crossing is open from 6AM to 10PM.

From Andrade, majority of tourists park their vehicles at nearby parking lots for USD $5 or walk to cross over.


Traveling thru a bus:

Probably the cheapest method to travel to Los Algodonesis thru the Americanosbus service. This special service offered by the Greyhound Bus Company is a direct trip to states in Mexico. To ensure a faster trip, the service bypasses Greyhound’s traditional stopovers. You can try booking online to travel aboard the Americanos and avail of this option if you have budget constraints.



The border crossing at Andrade is open from 6AM to 10PM. When you arrive at the US-Mexico border, you might need any of the following documents.

  1. Canadian citizens and other international tourists should bring their passports and a visa if it was required for their entry into the US.
  2. US citizens are not required to have a visa, however, they can bring any of the following:
    1. US PASSPORT: Accepted for travel by land, air and sea.
    2. US PASSPORT CARD: A limited, new travel document that costs less than a US passport but valid only for travel by land and sea.
    3. Tourist Card or FM-T: To obtain a FM-T card, you must pay a fee to border crossing points such as airports (airlines). Sometimes, an FM-T card fee is included in the airplane ticket fee. Tourists must be reminded to present their FM-T cards at the point of exit (from Mexico) or else, they may pay a fine from the Mexican Immigration authorities.
    4. Non-Immigrant Right (DNI): Tourists going to Mexicoshould avail a non-immigrant right (DNI), which costs USD $200. The DNI allows tourists to be authorized as non-immigrants.
    5. Enhanced Driver’s License: Some Canadian provinces and states have driver’s licenses that can indicate both citizenship and identity for border crossing travels either by land or sea.
    6. Trusted traveller program cards: FAST, NEXUS and SENTRI offer these issued to approve enrolment cards for low-risk tourists who travel either by land, air or sea.
  3. US PERMANENT RESIDENTS (LEGAL): Present your permanent resident card (FORM I-551) to show evidence of permanent residence status.
  4. US and CANADIAN citizens under 16 years of age: You may present any of the following documents in original or copy form:
    1. Birth Certificate
    2. Naturalization Certificate
    3. Canadian Citizenship Card
    4. Consular Report of Birth Abroad

[button title=”Contact Us” titlecolor=”#cc0000″ description=”For more Info” textcolor=”#000000″ url=”https://www.placidway.com/contact/contact-us.php?site=MexicoBorderDentist” bgcolor=”#cccccc” align=”center”]

[rule type=”top”]